Chef Marcus says get you a dish that can do both - both summertime and autumn that is! People love eating seafood in the summer, but as we transition to fall and winter, dishes designed to warm like seasonal soups will trend more. By serving a dish like this Coconut Saffron Mussel Soup, you catch both of these seasonal trends, making your menu more timelessly delicious!
Try this out in your own kitchen and tell us what you think! Take a picture and tag us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
4004081 Sysco Classic Oil Peanut Heavy Duty
2415859 Sysco Imperial Fresh Shallots Whole Peeled
7037967 Alami Italian Red Chili
1821537 Sysco Imperial Fresh Garlic Peeled Fresh Jar
1350859 Lemon Grass Fresh
5101480 Milk Coconut Unsweetened
5872353 Jade Mountain Vinegar Rice Wine Seasoned
1428772 Spice Saffron
1007566 Limes Fresh 150 Count
2962892 Sauce Fish
5228671 Sysco Imperial McCormick Spice Coriander Ground
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 long red chilli, deseeded & chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 stalk lemongrass
14 fl oz coconut milk
2 tablespoons rice wine
¼ teaspoon saffron
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 lbs mussels
chopped coriander leaves
- In a large pan, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot, chili and garlic and cook until they soften and take on color.
- Cut lemongrass in half lengthwise and chop into pieces. Add coconut milk, rice wine, lemongrass and saffron to soup, stirring until soup simmers.
- Remove from heat and let the flavors combine for 30 minutes, then strain.
- Bring soup back to a simmer and add lime juice and fish sauce.
- Add mussels and cover, letting it all simmer for 6 minutes. Check to make sure most (if not all) of the mussels have opened before removing from heat.
- Scoop out mussels into your serving dish, pour soup over top, sprinkle with coriander and serve immediately.